Sunday, March 9, 2008

Howdy Crazy Aunt Purl

My favorite blog that I follow on a regular basis is Crazy Aunt Purl.

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/

(I added a link, look in the "meander over here a while" section)

Crazy Aunt Purl has really been an inspiration to Weird Old Aunt Meandering, especially when Crazy Aunt Purl was answering questions about how she got her book Divorced, Drunk and Covered With Cat Hair published. It turns out she was writing and writing and writing her blog and the publisher came to her. I was stunned and elated to hear this, I didn’t know publishers came to anyone and I figured if she could do it, I could too and I ran right to the computer and started a blog.

I enjoy Crazy Aunt Purl’s cat photos, and TV personality photos and her stories that often start crazy and end sane. I also enjoy her weather reports. Crazy Aunt Purl lives in LA or there abouts and sometimes she posts photos of the horrible weather they have, like when the sky spits and they actually have a drop or two of rain, ( yes, she’s posted photos of a drop or two of rain on the windshield or sidewalk), or when - heaven forbid- they have a cloudy day.

So I was thinking about Laurie ( aka Crazy Aunt Purl) this morning, wondering what she would say if her weather report for the start of the second week of March looked like mine:

Snow squalls, mainly before 6pm. Cloudy, with a high near 23. West wind between 18 and 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 5 to 7 inches possible.

No, I’m not gonna post a photo, believe me folks, ya don’t want to see it!
Now people here don't rush around yelling "the sky is falling" when weather like this occurs, they just put on another sweater, fire up the pellet stove and talk about the winter of '93 which was really bad.

Personally, I'm a transplant and I say enough all ready! It's March, let it go and let's get on with spring. I’m tired of the boots and hats and mittens. I've had enough of the snow shovels, rock salt and windshield scrapers. I want to open the windows and breathe fresh air again. I want the sun to come back. Good thing I'm not a Mayan, or I would be sacrificing people left and right looking to appease the sun god and get it to return.

I think it's interesting to note that the worst weather of this northern winter comes when the light is returning. Not in the darkest dark of the shortest days of the year, but when the days are getting longer and the sun is on its way back. If I was Joseph Campbell I would say something about the myths of a struggle between dark and light, good and evil.

I would meander on about the bad weather being some kinda metaphor, how as we reach to become more enlightened beings our darkest coldest side often appears just as we think we are making the transition to enlightenment. Our dark side tries to draw us back into the winter of our soul. But, as any myth reader knows, with perseverance and patience and planning the "light" prevails and leads us from the dark to something warmer in ourselves. Spring comes.

No comments: