Sunday, July 13, 2008

Go Green Fashionably

OK, I've got the answer girls, to how you can "go green" and still look good. I mean, have you gotten on the bring-your-own-bag band wagon yet? I'm just laughing because I think I was bringing my own bag back in what- the 1970's? Remember when you bought health food in a church basement from a born again co-op because that is the only place you could get it? Remember when you had to make your own yogurt because stores didn't sell it? Remember when you had to grow your own sprouts because stores didn't sell them?

Way back then folks, you didn't just bring the bag to carry your purchases out of the store, no, you had to bring bags to put you bulk items in, because nothing was packaged! Now days we have packaged, pressed, remilled, frozen microwaveable health food! Isn't it amazing! Remember when- oh, never mind, you get my drift.

Any hoo- now days it's become fashionable to be green and of course corporations immediately thought of a way to make money off the whole trend. Why not sell re-usable grocery bags with our nifty logo on them? Yes, let's make people pay to advertise for us. Let's make people pay so that we can save money on the cost of bags. Let's make people pay to be green! So every store you can imagine, from Walgreen Drugs to Pier One Imports- one of the least green stores on the planet and one that nobody buys groceries in- has a re-usable grocery bag with their logo on it.

Now I don't know about you, but I'm not walking around with a bag that advertises for a drug store. A health food store, yes, if the bag is nice looking but a drug store? Wal-mart? Pier One Imports? NO. Definitely not. Am I going to carry a bag from a big grocery chain that does not have a good selection of organic and whole foods? NO. Am I going to carry a bag from a health food store that is a supplement pill pusher and way over charges for the food they do carry? NO.

And, last but not least, am I going to carry a re-usable shopping bag that clashes with my outfit? NO.

So, what's a girl to do? Well girls, let me tell you, you all know I'm a purse hound. Well, if you didn't know before, you do now. I can do without the 300 pairs of shoes, but I have shelf after shelf of vintage purses. I am constantly scanning the thrift and consignment stores for nice vintage purses. Recently I came upon a winning idea- a really large beach bag style purse from the mid-eighties. It's black leather with a nice dark brown linen lining and has bronze metallic tassels. It's as large as a big shopping bag!

So you see where I'm going with this right? That bag takes the place of two of those unsightly Wal-mart bags and looks great with any outfit. So next chance you get, hop on down to the thrift store and I'm wishing you lots of luck finding a perfect humongous vintage purse so you can grocery shop, be green, and look great at the same time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently visited our new organic
store- Earth Fare- and they gave me a heavy canvas bag that I can use over and over- No Charge! What a deal! And actually it doesn't even have their name on it.
I can also buy a heavy duty recycled paper bag with handles for 5 cents if I need one and than either use it over and over or give it back to them and get my 5 cents back. Nice.

meandering said...

Now that is nice, I could shop at a store like that!