Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Have a Confession to Make...



I always thought Jimmie was a better guitar player than Stevie.

Stevie had something special though, that really attracted people to him, maybe it was that hang dog look he had, or his crinkled nose, maybe it was his showmanship. And yes, of course it was his playing, and yes he was fantastic. I adored him. From the first time I saw him play at 25 cent tequila night at that place out near the lake, (what the heck was the name of that place?) to his regular Tuesday night at Steamboat on 6th street, I was in the crowd almost every week. I met him a few times and he was a little shy I thought, but always nice.

Honestly though,I always thought Jimmie was a better player, and I still do.

Here's a photo of Jimmie and Lou Ann Barton from 1984- All photos, by the way are from the book "Picture The Blues", a collection of photographs taken at Antone's, in Austin Texas. This one, it seems was taken by Susan Antone.



I saw Jimmie and Lou Ann Sunday night and I have to tell you, they looked great and sounded even better. Some things just age well, and they have.

And honestly, I think Jimmie is still the best guitar player on the planet.

Now here is a photo I've always thought was one of the best I've ever seen of those Vaughan brothers


Now in Texas they say Bob Wills is still the king, but I bet these boys would be known as the princes.

No comments: